The one thing to get away to

Friday, November 19, 2010

Blah Blah Blah... McCormac

It is 1:30 a.m. and I am drained from the day.  I’m running on E and conserving every amount of energy I take in from breathing.  I struggle to keep my eyes and mind focused on this screen.  And at this point, I have very little to say to you, Cormac, about your book The Road.
I believe that the human race will one day almost be exterminated.  It is plausible, considering history tends to repeat itself.  It is only a question of time.  When is the world ready to cleanse itself again and begin anew?  And when that time comes, we do not know exactly what is going to happen.  We can only imagine and scrap together ideas of the worst possible situations.  I believe that you really portray the end of the world to what would possibly happen.  Of course people will be greedy and only care about his or her survival.  It’s every man for himself in the end.  And the fact that you leave out specific environmental factors and descriptions of how the world becomes the way it becomes is, in a way, a good thing.  No one knows exactly what is going to happen and science can only guess at what is to come.  You leave our minds to form our own predictions. 
The way you leave the ending also leads us to form our own endings.  We don’t know if everyone is going to die or if a select few will live.  It these ideas really pull together to make the story realistic and makes us wonder if this is exactly what our fates comes to. 
But for now, I will leave my mind to rest and only subconsciously think about the matters of the apocalypse.  It is a conversation that will never end until it is here in our sights.

1 comment:

  1. I liked how Cormac didn't give a lot of detail about what caused the apocalypse. There are many different options for what could have caused it and will eventually cause this chaotic world, and he let's the reader decide what the disaster was.

    ReplyDelete