The one thing to get away to

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Oh what an Influence

Soccer was the first sport introduced into my life.  I was the starter, on offense, and it was pee wee soccer.  It commenced my competitive side to win.  I learned how to operate together as a team and that jumping on the ball was considered a penalty and meant for another sport.  It made tough... I was on defense and the ball was kicked flat into my face... it stung a little but I ran it off.  Thirty seconds later, the same guy kicks it and hits me in the same exact spot... my eyes started watering up but I ran it off again.  Now there is only so much one can take... and I reached my point... A minute later another player takes a shot and guess where it hit... I couldn't take that last shot and started bawling my eyes out.  But I did stick it out the first two blows to the face.
 A couple years later, soccer faded and volleyball took over.  Bumping, setting and spiking were my perfection.  I played for six years and continue to still coach it.  I miss playing and try to incorporate it into my life any way possible. 
And then you have the occasional football games.  The guys call me up in the neighborhood to play tackle football at Wentworth Park.  They consider me an advantage because the guys on the other team are too scared to tackle me.  But even back in first grade at recess, the guys asked me to join in and play some football.  I was one of the few girls who could throw a perfect spiral and catch a throw.
Oh and how can I forget about the sports I watch: hockey and baseball.  My interest in hockey started young when my uncle played in the minors and we would go to watch him.  My friend Sam caught my attention onto the White Sox.  Ever since third grade I've been a diehard Sox fan.  I enjoy going to the ball games and watching it on television.  I even have a White Sox tailgate cover on my car.
Sports have been a real large portion of my life.  It's a part of me and allows me to show my competitive side.

No comments:

Post a Comment